Chinese algae eater at 1:1 magnification...

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

twebster
Site Admin

Chinese algae eater at 1:1 magnification...

Post by twebster »

Hi y'all, :D

I just finished building a new diffuser box for my flash to light my macro subjects. The closest test subject I had at hand was a Chinese algae eater in my aquarium... :D

Chinese Algae Eater (Gyrinocheilus aymonieri) Canon EOS 20D with Tamron 90mm f 2.8 macro lens set to 1:1 image magnification, Canon 550ex with homemade "double diffuser" box, ISO 200, 1/250th sec @ f 8, handheld, full frame, no cropping.

The algae eater was about 1" from the aquarium glass. I positioned the flash/diffuser box just above the front of the lens and aimed down about 45° or, maybe, a little less. Notice how diffuse the highlight in the eye has become and also notice how diffuse the shadow is under the fin. The diffusion box is about 4" above the fish. My new "double diffuser" box appears to work very well. :D

For a brief description as to how I made the "double diffuser" box, see this post... http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... php?t=5426. The box I made is, I readily admit, awkward but the quality of lighting offsets that disadvantage. I can still attach the flash w/diffuser box on my Kirk Enterprises macro flash bracket and position it where necessary. The foamcore is at least very light. I have a Sigma 180mm macro lens on order and now I am anxious to see how well this diffusion box works with that lens. :D

Best regards to all as always :!: :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Wow, what a shot Tom. Was that taken with a "fisheye" lens? :lol: :wink:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

What do you mean!!! The fish only has one eye now :shock: Very good subject and a beautiful picture Tom
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Ken Ramos wrote:Wow, what a shot Tom. Was that taken with a "fisheye" lens? :lol: :wink:
OK, I deserved that for posting the hummingbird photo :!: :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Why Tom, I liked the humming bird photo and the fish is good too! :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Nice!!! What design flash diffuser did you make, Tom?

And another thing. I have done some macro of marine organisms and I think the quality of the glasss makes a difference! Has anyone been thinking about that? There is optical glass with better quality and if you make a little tank from that glass the image quality will improve. Not that this it not good, Tom. It is just something worth considering!

Wim

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Wim, :D

Thanks for the nice comment, my friend. I have a description of the box at http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... php?t=5426. I'll post a photo of it a little later this weekend. OK?

Best regards as always, Wim. :D
Tom Webster
Administrator