Eukaryotic Respiration Questions?

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Eukaryotic Respiration Questions?

Post by Ken Ramos »

I have noticed, at least in the mountains of Western North Carolina, that collecting Protists is better done in the winter months, when dissolved oxygen levels are higher in freshwater than in the summer. Reading up a bit on eukaryotes I found that they are "faculatively anaerobic," meaning they can survive in the presence of oxygen rich waters or in waters that are of lesser degree, amebae are a good example.

In my aquarium where the water is constantly enriched in oxygen, I have some protozoa but not in what I would call sufficent populations for my tastes :lol: The water temperature varies with the seasons, I do not have airconditoning. After reading a bit of information on eukaryotic respiration, I have been led to believe that eykaryotes are mainly anaerobic, not requiring oxygen for certain or most cell functions. Could it be that I am aerating my aquarium to much and therefore hindering the populations of eukaryotes :?:

Another question has also crossed by mind. If they do use oxygen to some extent, how is it carried acrossed the cell membrane? Is it by passive transport or by active transport using "carrier molecules?" It was said that the oxygen was used to remove toxins within the cell also, so this led me to consider "facilitated diffusion, in which carrier molecules move substances either in or out of the cell in a manner that increases the rate of diffusion across the cell membrane. Would this, "faciliatated diffusion," apply to eukaryotic cells?

Does anyone have any thoughts on one or both questions I have asked?
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

nephiliim

Post by nephiliim »

The only thing I know at the moment is that eukaryoticc usually do need a certain amount of oxygen. This is because of the 'burning' of nutriënts
Sometimes smaller is better!
*nodge nodge :D*

Comments and advice always welcome
My little website