Videomicrography

Periodically, articles are posted on the www.amateurmicroscopy.net website. Here are links to each article for your reading pleasure. You may also submit brief reviews or discuss the contents of the articles.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

twebster
Site Admin

Videomicrography

Post by twebster »

Videomicrography...by Tom Webster

For a couple of years now I have been shooting video clips of the organisms I have observed through the microscope. I have modified a Logitech Zoom web camera to capture video clips in either 640 x 480 pixel resolution or 320 x 240 pixel resolution. As much as I enjoy making still images through the microscope, video clips allow me to watch the behavior of the organisms time and time again
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Garry DeLong

Post by Garry DeLong »

Tom,
I'm sorry I've been away so long. I hope you're still interested in this stuff.

The first link is a closeup of an amoeba psuedopod--the large oval object that flows through--is it the nucleus? I was sloppy as usual about making notes, but this resolution and lighting is typical of my 10X objective which translates to a total field on camera long axis of 425 microns--which translates to the equivalent of a 40 X eypiece!!
http://www.garrydelong.com/demos/micro_ ... ts_di.mpg

This has been identified by a an annelid expert (Mark Wetzel, Uof Illinois) as a fly larva, probably midge and not an annelid as I originally suspected. Signal features of identification are the eyespots and the antennae primordia ("horns").
http://www.garrydelong.com/demos/micro_ ... _diS.mpg

Broadband will probably be essential as these are large files. The second link sometimes gets an error message but then will often work if I try again !?

Wow, I'm really having problems with the logistics of this thing. Perhaps if I can get any of this up, you can cut and paste, otherwise, I'll come back again soon...
Garry DeLong