Tucson summer wildlife

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

gslaten

Tucson summer wildlife

Post by gslaten »

My wife was startled when she stepped out the door one night a couple of weeks ago, and found herself facing this fellow hanging on the wall. He is about 6" from the tippy toe to tippy toe. The males are out this time of year looking for a mate.

This was a grab shot, as it was nearly dark.

Nikon CP950
Macro mode, flash
50% crop

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know Gary, when I lived in Arkansas I was constantly being startled by these hairy things :shock: but after a while I got used to them being around and due to their size and hairy appearance and they just did not register as spiders in relation to my phobia for them, but of course they did at the start. As a matter of fact while out deer hunting, I used to poke at them to make them stand up. :lol: Would like to have had some shots of that. Hey, a great photograph of the tarantula Gary. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

You guys can have them...I`m glad they are not up here in the Northeast :shock:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

gslaten

Post by gslaten »

Actually, they are quite harmless, and a lot of people keep them for pets. They are quite docile, and at the local Desert Museum I have seen docents with them crawling on their arms. Not for me though.