I did it...

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

S. Alden
Site Admin

I did it...

Post by S. Alden »

got me the Canon 70-200 L IS USM lens. I guess I can say that lightmeter is now history :lol: . The way I see it, I have been fretting over the 70-200 for awhile now, and only started fretting over the light meter, so the 70-200 had priority and besides, I do not want the light meter, just my professor wants me to have the light meter. Anyway, that is my reasoning on all of it.

BTW. I will be selling my Canon 100-400L IS USM if any one is interested. Will not have a need for it, so I will give first ups here and it will go up on other forums when I get back home.

No insects in Texas, but one little honey bee.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

The 70-200 is supposed to be excellent, and I hear you can put a Canon 500D and take some nice stabilized handheld closeups! :-)

Too bad you're giving up the 100-400, I don't use mine much, but when flexibility is the key need, it is unbeatable! But I gotta admit having the 70-200 and the 100-400 is probably more overlap than you need.

And you've got all Summer to come up with money for a flash meter, right? :-)
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

MikeBinOKlahoma wrote: And you've got all Summer to come up with money for a flash meter, right? :-)
That is my thinking too :lol:

Yep, the 100-400 is a great lense, but I do not use it much anymore, no longer concentrate on the birds..just the bees :lol: :lol:
Sue Alden
Administrator

mowse

Post by mowse »

I just picked up the 70-200 f/4. As expected, it's amazing!

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

mowse wrote:I just picked up the 70-200 f/4. As expected, it's amazing!
I got the 2.8 and hope it holds up to the reviews. Glad to hear that you are having good results with the f/4.
Sue Alden
Administrator

MikeBinOKlahoma

mowse wrote:I just picked up the 70-200 f/4. As expected, it's amazing!
I love my f/4 version! For me, 70-200 is a landscape range, and I always shoot those stopped down a bit from a tripod. So I didn't need the f/2.8, and IS isn't too useful for me there. So I saved about $1000 by skipping IS and cutting my light gathering in half! :-)
Mike Broderick

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

I need it for the weddings. Heard it was the lens to have for those. I will put the 500d on it and see how it works for macro :D

I would not have bothered, but my part-time business picked up so much, I might have to consider retiring from my regular job. :lol:

Only, I do not want to depend on it, as I might not want to do that all the time. People can be a fussy bunch.
Sue Alden
Administrator

MikeBinOKlahoma

I shot some weddings for relatives only as backup to a professional photographer--I wouldn't have done it if the pro hadn't been there, as I have no experience at it, and was afraid I'd make a horrible foulup of it! It was still pretty stressful. I wouldn't dream of doing it for a stranger for money. Though my sister insists she likes my cake-cutting shot better than the one the wedding photographer did (and it's macro--Sort of!). (If Sue needs to move this to the "community" forum I won't get on a high-horse about it).

shot with no flash at a gawdawful ISO:

Mike Broderick

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Candlelight .... that must have been hard. ISO is usually has high as you can go.

I think it is a very nice image. I just hope that 70-200 is worth the money.
Sue Alden
Administrator

MikeBinOKlahoma

This was with my old 10D, I believe at ISO 3200! A 28-70 I believe at 70mm and f/2.8, though I don't have the exif stuff at hand. I believe I ran it through noiseninja (which reallyhelped, but I don't shoot at high ISO often enough to need it in a big way).

Now that I think about it, I did a crop of the hands holding the knife to the cake, rather than this shot. Printed it out and my sister adored it.

The 70-200/2.8 is an awesome lens by all accounts! I'll bet you like it.
Mike Broderick

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Hmmm IS is goooooood :D :wink:

Did someone say weddings !!!. Aww deep shudder, better hide :D Those humans are just too big :wink:

Danny.